Kindergarten Registration and Enrollment
Thank you for choosing Ludington Area Schools for your child’s educational journey! We are excited to partner with you and your family to help your child and every student reach his or her potential in an engaging, inspiring, challenging, and supportive environment. Strong early childhood programs serve as the foundation of a strong educational system, and we are confident that our programs will meet your child’s needs.
With the support of our dedicated team of educators, staff and administrators, LASD students are challenged to use their imaginations, engage their critical thinking skills and become inspired to develop habits that will help them continue to learn and grow for the rest of their lives. Through the implementation of strong research based programs and practices, and instructional facilitation and intervention by the best educators that you will find, students will graduate from our kindergarten program prepared and ready to continue on in their pathway to success.
We invite you to become fully involved in the educational journey of your child and hope that you will use this webpage to learn more about the kindergarten registration and enrollment process. Thank you for choosing to be an Oriole and welcome to kindergarten!
Click on the video link below to hear a welcome message from District superintendent Jason Kennedy, Franklin Elementary Principal Katie Eisinger, and Lakeview Elementary Principal Jenn Mackey. The video will also provide step by step instructions for completing the registration process.
Click on the expandable content boxes below to learn more about registering your child(ren) for kindergarten at Ludington Area School District:
How old must my child be to enter kindergarten?
To enroll in kindergarten, a child must be five (5) years old on or before September 1st of the enrollment year. However, according to Michigan law, if a child residing in a district is not five (5) years of age on or before September 1st of the enrollment year, but will turn five (5) years of age not later than December 1st of the enrollment year, the parent or legal guardian may choose to enroll their child in kindergarten by submitting a written request to the District.
When in receipt of a written request, the District will make a recommendations to the child’s parent or legal guardian, as to the child’s readiness for school, and whether or not the child should be enrolled in kindergarten early. Regardless of a district’s recommendation, the parent or legal guardian retains the sole discretion to enroll their child. Questions regarding enrollment or your child's readiness for kindergarten should be directed to either Mrs. Katie Eisinger at email@example.com or by calling (231) 845-3830, or to Ms. Jenn Mackey at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (231) 845-3840.
How can I help prepare my child for kindergarten?
The District has developed a kindergarten readiness checklist that outlines developmental skills that can be focused on by families as their child prepares to enter into kindergarten. This readiness checklist outlines skills in the following areas:
- Personal and Social Development
- Writing and Fine Motor Development
- Literacy and Language Development
- Mathematics Skill Development
Please click on the link below to access the District's kindergarten readiness checklist and to learn more about how you can help your child prepare and be ready to start kindergarten:
Next, literacy experts across the state have developed the Essential Literacy Practices in Early Literacy. The purpose of the document below is to identify a small set of research-supported instructional practices that have a positive impact on literacy development in children. The District believes that the use of these practices every day will have a measurable positive impact on improving a child's literacy development. Click on the link below to learn more about these practices in early literacy.
How do I register and enroll my child for kindergarten?
We are excited to announce the District's new online student enrollment system through PowerSchool for the 2020-2021 school year! This is a secure and streamlined process which allows the District to verify all student demographic, emergency contact, and medical information for the new school year. This system will allow you to register your child for kindergarten, while also allowing you to update information for returning students. This online process will replace the need to complete many of the hard copy student enrollment and permission forms that the District has traditionally required.
Please follow the steps below to continue:
- Complete Online Registration Form
- Click on the link above and complete the online registration form. Please note: Required fields are marked as "Required" and must be completed. Also, the District will receive the data exactly as it is entered. Please be careful of spelling, capitalization, and punctuation.
- When completed, click "Submit" to send your child's registration for kindergarten to the District. On the submission confirmation page, you will have the opportunity to print out a copy of your registration to keep for your records. Please note: Once the form is electronically submitted to the District, you will receive an e-mail confirmation.
Next Steps: Once completed with the online registration form, the following information is needed to complete the enrollment process and must be completed before a student may begin school:
- Proof of Residency: This can be anything with your address on it.
- Proof of immunization or waiver from District Health Department or physician
- Receipt of hearing / vision screening through District Health Department or physician
- Certified Birth Certificate
- Transportation Request Form
- Concussion Awareness Educational Material Acknowledgement Form
- Parental Acknowledgement of District Policies Form
- Acceptable Use Policy Form
- Media/Web Release Policy Form
- Other Forms:
- Home Language Survey (if home language is other than English)
- School of Choice Form (if applicable)