Financial Aid and Scholarship Information
Please note: Current year due dates will be found on each scholarship website. Scholarships are due approximately the same time each year. Many scholarships have a specific open period. If the link indicates not open or not available, you may try a search for that scholarship or look for an 'open' date.
Check the LHS announcements regularly through PowerSchool for scholarship opportunities that are shared as we become aware of them. They are also added here with a link (if applicable) and more information. Always check due dates.
ALL for ONE and ONE for ALL/ One Application-Multiple Scholarship Opportunities
LHS is now partnering with the Community Foundation for Mason County (CFFMC) to use the Foundation’s application in an effort to streamline the scholarship application process for our students. Beginning October 1st, LHS seniors will now complete the CFFMC scholarship application to be considered for both CFFMC scholarships and all LHS school-based awards based on various eligibility criteria and applicant information. Although not all of the information requested in the Foundation’s application will be used in determining LHS scholarship awards, certain questions may be required by the Foundation for their scholarship considerations. The directions and deadlines for the CFFMC application are below. Once you have submitted your application, forward the CFFMC confirmation email to firstname.lastname@example.org to complete the process to be considered for LHS scholarships. This will ensure awareness of your CFFMC application and desire to be considered for LHS awards.
Community Foundation for Mason County (CFFMC)
Successful completion of the CFFMC scholarship program will automatically activate candidacy for all available Foundation scholarship awards applicable to the scholar. Community Foundation Scholarships have their own application process and awards may be granted by an outside committee or in conjunction with the LHS Scholarship Committee. Community Foundation for Mason County scholarships are subject to available funding. Specific scholarships and known criteria follow. Keep in mind that completing the CFFMC application process activates candidacy for any available awards.
The CFFMC Scholarship Application opens on October 1st and is due February 1st. Please visit the Community Foundation for Mason County website and click on Scholarships to begin an application and to check for any updates or revisions to their award process.
Other Local Scholarships
Applications for the following scholarships are done individually and local scholarship committees at each organization determine awards. Individual community-based scholarship applications are available for download only. Click the orange links to download each form, and if a scholarship does not currently have a link, check back for updated information and applications regularly. Each scholarship has different criteria and deadlines for application submission. Because specific dates are not available at this time for each application, it is highly recommended that candidates complete each application before the month in which it is historically due (usually March or April). The LHS Counseling Office does not maintain these scholarships, so please read each application carefully and adhere to all submission requirements. All awards are non-renewable, one-time awards unless otherwise stated.
Michigan Education Association Scholarship
- Dependent of an MEA member or MEA-Retired member in good standing
- Graduate of a Michigan public high school or private high school that has an MEA bargaining unit.
- Will attend or is currently an undergraduate student of a Michigan public community/junior college, four-year degree-granting institution, or vocational training institution that grants a degree, certification or license. Those attending the following private institutions ONLY are also eligible: Baker College-Flint/Owosso; University of Detroit–Mercy; Adrian College; Finlandia University; and Albion College. (The aforementioned private institutions are existing local MEA affiliates.)
- Note: Children of MEA officers, fund trustees, and MEA staff are not eligible.
(A child of an MEA, MESSA or MEA-FS staff person is eligible if the other parent is an MEA member in good standing).
Priority is given on the basis of:
School and community service
Please visit https://mea.org/mea-scholarship/ to access the application. The application can be typed into or filled out by hand, and must be sent as a PDF to email@example.com and is due February 16, 2023 .
Michigan Masonic Charitable Foundation
Due March. Student applicants are not required to have any Masonic affiliation. Applications will be updated soon. Send completed application to Jim Frost, 111 Russell Rd., Scottville, MI 49454. Access the application here.
Carol Bennett Memorial Scholarship
Must submit 1500 word maximum writing sample. Please see the application for specific instructions.
Ludington Rotary Scholarship
Due February 1 to the LHS Counseling Office
- Attendance at Ludington High School for not less than one (1) year
- Cumulative High School GPA of 3.5 or Higher
- Plans to attend an accredited four (4) year college or university to pursue a bachelor's degree
- Demonstrated all-around abilities throughout high school.
- Final selection determined after all candidates are interviewed by a panel of Rotarians
Mason County Garden Club Scholarship
- The student must reside in Mason County and earn his/her high school completion certificate, diploma or home school equivalent.
- The student must intend to complete the requirements for a degree/certification program and to pursue a career in horticulture, botany, agriculture, landscape architecture, conservation or a related field.
- Mason County Garden Club scholarship application must be completed.
- High school transcript must be included with the application.
An instructor’s recommendation must be attached or send by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Memorial Scholarship Fund Of Emanuel Lutheran Church
- Open to all high school graduates of Mason County
- Residency in Mason County at least one year preceding the date of the award.
Sahlmark and Emanuel Lutheran Church
- Open to high school graduates, those who have completed their GED, or those enrolled in college who are confirmed members of Emanuel Lutheran Church
- Application and additional information is available at: emanuellutheranludington.org
AAUW College Scholarship
- Graduate Of LHS
- Attendance at a four-year college or university only (not community colleges)
- GPA 3.0 or higher
Ludington Area Catholic Education Foundation Scholarship
A deserving full-time student, who has attended the final year available at Ludington Area Catholic School and/or participated in St. Simon Faith Formation and who has recently completed, or will complete, the senior year of high school and will pursue a post-secondary degree.
Dr. Jennifer Branning Scholarship
- LHS Graduate
- Planning a career in math-science field
- Preference given to those interested in a health care field
The Ludington & Scottville Area Chamber Of Commerce
This scholarship may be used for tuition, fees, books, supplies and other expenses incurred for educational purposes and will be sent directly to the Financial Aid Office at West Shore Community College.
This scholarship will be awarded based on leadership and volunteer work both in the school and in the community. It is geared toward the student who may not be eligible for academic scholarships.
When applications become available for the new school year log on to my.westshore.edu, click on Students, click on myScholarship, click on scholarship application. Any questions, contact 231-843-5518. Must have applied to WSCC to access.
Mason County Democratic Party Scholarship
Due April Submit a 500-word essay on the topic indicated in the application. Winning essay to be published in the Ludington Daily News. Please see the application for submission instructions.
Mason County 4-H Scholarships
Due May This scholarship and 4-H participant support is offered in memory of the life and accomplishments of Rose and Elmer Peterson as they served as examples of 4-H leadership in Mason County. Their interests in conservation and resource preservation are a cornerstone of their legacy. Must be an active member of Mason County 4-H. Provide a 4-H portfolio and complete an application. Click here for application.
Due May This scholarship exists for the purpose of stimulating a greater interest in 4-H and providing an opportunity for a student to pursue a post high school educational program and enable such a person to find a greater satisfaction in his/her vocational endeavors. Must be a Mason County resident and member of 4-H for all four years of high school. Click here for application.
Oceana Brett Witteveen Detachment #1225 Marine Corps League Scholarship
Due April 30
- Senior residing in Oceana or Mason County (including Montague) or any senior attending a school in Oceana or Mason County (including Montague)
- Relative of someone that served in the Marine Corps
- Pursuing full time undergraduate degree (12 hours or more) or technical training at a full-time recognized institution