Financial Aid and Scholarship Information
LHS FINANCIAL AID AND SCHOLARSHIP INFORMATION
Please note: Current year due dates will be found on each scholarship website. Scholarships are due approximately the same time each year. Many scholarships have a specific open period. If the link indicates not open or not available, you may try a search for that scholarship or look for an 'open' date.
Check the LHS announcements regularly through PowerSchool for scholarship opportunities that are shared as we become aware of them. They are also added here with a link (if applicable) and more information. Always check due dates.
LHS Common Application for Scholarships— The due date for the LHS common application is in April 2022 (check back for details later). This form gets automatically "collected" when you hit submit at the end. Once you do that, you will be able to go back and edit your responses until the due date when the form closes. Students are asked to submit a list of four references (2 from a school association and 2 from the community). Details on this process are in the LHS Common Application for Scholarships.
The Adam Murphy Memorial Scholarship
Amount $1,000 one time award
This scholarship seeks to honor the memory of Adam Murphy, a student of LHS and Ludington Area Catholic Schools known for his passion for learning, creative spirit, fierce intelligence and for being true to himself. This one-time award for a $1,000 will be given to an LHS senior graduate who is accepted and enrolled in a two or four year college or university and was a member of LHS Quiz Bowl team for at least two years.
In the spirit of Quiz Bowl, this scholarship applications requires eligible candidates to answer a set of questions in addition to completing the LHS Common Application for School-Based Scholarships. Eligible candidates, after completing the Common App and all necessary documentations are submitted, will find requirements and the questions here.
Community Foundation for Mason County (CFFMC)
Successful completion of the CFFMC scholarship program will automatically activate candidacy for all available Foundation scholarship awards applicable to the scholar. Community Foundation Scholarships have their own application process and awards may be granted by an outside committee or in conjunction with the LHS Scholarship Committee. Community Foundation for Mason County scholarships are subject to available funding. Specific scholarships and known criteria follow. Keep in mind that completing the CFFMC application process activates candidacy for any available awards.
The CFFMC Scholarship Application is due February 1st. Please visit the Community Foundation for Mason County website and click on scholarships to begin an application and to check for any updates or revisions to their award process.
These are some of the CFFMC sponsored awards for which you are automatically considered:
Merry E. Petersen Memorial Scholarship $500.00
- Mason County resident, graduate or past-graduate of any Mason County high school
- Pursuing a nursing degree
- Financial aid/needs will be considered
Knizacky Family Scholarship Awards vary
- Graduating senior who is a resident of Freesoil or has significant Freesoil connection
- Minimum of 3.0 GPA
- Will be attending any Michigan two or four-year college or university or vocational/technical school
Mason-Oceana-Manistee Board of Realtors Scholarship Awards vary
- Graduating senior from low to middle income resources
- Minimum of 3.0- 3.75 range GPA
- Demonstrated leadership ability and/or community involvement
Marlene Schoenberger Scholarship Awards vary
- Mason County resident
- Attending/Will attend University of Michigan to pursue Fine or Performing Arts degree
Joe Lancour Memorial Scholarship Awards vary
- Graduating senior from LHS who is pursuing a degree in any Health/Medical Field
- Minimum of 2.0 GPA
Lee Shipman WSCC Scholarship Awards vary
- Mason County graduating senior attending WSCC admitted to an Engineering program
- Academic achievement and financial need will be considered
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- financial need
Michael and Rebecca Magee Scholarship
- Graduating senior pursuing a degree or certification within the state of MI in the fields of science, technology, engineering, or mathematics
- Demonstrating financial need
Alberta Muzzin Chamber of Commerce Scholarship
- Graduating senior who is attending WSCC
- Demonstrate leadership ability, community involvement, and volunteer work
- Preference to students who may not be eligible for academic scholarships
West Shore Community College Foundation Scholarship
- Residents of Mason County attending WSCC
Other Local Scholarships
Applications for the following scholarships are done individually and local scholarship committees at each organization determine awards. Individual community-based scholarship applications are available for download only. Click the orange links to download each form, and if a scholarship does not currently have a link, check back for updated information and applications regularly. Each scholarship has different criteria and deadlines for application submission. Because specific dates are not available at this time for each application, it is highly recommended that candidates complete each application before the month in which it is historically due (usually March or April). The LHS Counseling Office does not maintain these scholarships, so please read each application carefully and adhere to all submission requirements. All awards are non-renewable, one-time awards unless otherwise stated.
Michigan Education Association Scholarship
- Dependent of an MEA member or MEA-Retired member in good standing
- Graduate of a Michigan public high school or private high school that has an MEA bargaining unit.
- Will attend or is currently an undergraduate student of a Michigan public community/junior college, four-year degree-granting institution, or vocational training institution that grants a degree, certification or license. Those attending the following private institutions ONLY are also eligible: Baker College-Flint/Owosso; University of Detroit–Mercy; Adrian College; Finlandia University; and Albion College. (The aforementioned private institutions are existing local MEA affiliates.)
- Note: Children of MEA officers, fund trustees, and MEA staff are not eligible.
(A child of an MEA, MESSA or MEA-FS staff person is eligible if the other parent is an MEA member in good standing).
Priority is given on the basis of:
- Academic achievement
- Extra-curricular activities
- School and community service
Please visit https://mea.org/mea-scholarship/ to access the application, or you can download it here. The application can be typed into or filled out by hand, and must be sent as a PDF to email@example.com and is due February .
Due March. Student applicants are not required to have any Masonic affiliation. Applications will be updated soon. Send completed application to Jim Frost, 111 Russell Rd., Scottville, MI 49454. Access the application here.
Carol Bennett Memorial Scholarship
Due March 15. $1500 Must submit 1500 word maximum writing sample online using .doc format. or the application can be completed electronically at https://www.ludingtonwriters.org/events
Due March Awards may vary
Two awards $1,000 Per Year/2 Years
- Attendance at Ludington High School for not less than one (1) year.
- Cumulative High School GPA of 3.5 or Higher
- Demonstrated all-around abilities throughout high school.
- Final selection determined after all candidates are interviewed by a panel of Rotarians
MASON COUNTY GARDEN CLUB SCHOLARSHIP
$500 Due March
1. The student must reside in Mason County and earn his/her high school completion certificate,
diploma or home school equivalent.
2. The student must intend to complete the requirements for a degree/certification program and
to pursue a career in horticulture, botany, agriculture, landscape architecture, conservation or a
3. A Mason County Garden Club scholarship application must be completed.
4. A high school transcript must be included with the application.
5. An instructor’s recommendation must be attached or send by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Due the first Friday in May $1,000 one time award
- LHS graduating senior
- Awarded to inspire students to "inhabit the moment that is high school"
Memorial Scholarship Fund Of Emanuel Lutheran Church
Due April $750.00
- Open to all high school graduates of Mason County
- Residency in Mason County at least one year preceding the date of the award.
Sahlmark and Emanuel Lutheran Church
- Open to high school graduates, those who have completed their GED, or those enrolled in college who are confirmed members of Emanuel Lutheran Church
AAUW College Scholarship
Due April 3
- Graduate Of LHS
- Attendance at a four-year college or university only (not community colleges)
- GPA 3.0 or higher
Ludington Area Catholic Education Foundation Scholarship
Due May 1 $1000
A deserving full-time student, who has attended the final year available at Ludington Area Catholic School and/or participated in St. Simon Faith Formation and who has recently completed, or will complete, the senior year of high school and will pursue a post-secondary degree.
Due early April $500.00
- LHS Graduate
- Planning a career in math-science field
- Preference given to those interested in a health care field
The Chamber Ludington & Scottville Area Chamber Of Commerce
Due March 12 to Counseling Office $500/semester for 2 semesters.
This scholarship may be used for tuition, fees, books, supplies and other expenses incurred for educational purposes and will be sent directly to the Financial Aid Office at West Shore Community College.
This scholarship will be awarded based on leadership and volunteer work both in the school and in the community. It is geared toward the student who may not be eligible for academic scholarships.
When applications become available for the new school year log on to my.westshore.edu, click on Students, click on myScholarship, click on scholarship application. Any questions, contact 231-843-5518. Must have applied to WSCC to access.
Mason County Democratic Party Scholarship
$750 Due May 1 Submit a 500-word essay on the topic indicated in the application. Winning essay to be published in the Ludington Daily News. Send essays to Mason County Democratic Chair, PO Box 205 Ludington, MI 49431.
Mason County 4-H Scholarships
Due May 7 $700 This Scholarship and 4-H participant support is offered in memory of the life and accomplishments of Rose and Elmer Peterson as they served as examples of 4-H leadership in Mason County. Their interests in conservation and resource preservation are a cornerstone of their legacy. Must be an active member of Mason County 4-H. Provide a 4-H portfolio and complete an application (available at a later date)
Due May 7 $500 This scholarship exists for the purpose of stimulating a greater interest in 4-H and providing an opportunity for a student to pursue a post high school educational program and enable such a person to find a greater satisfaction in his/her vocational endeavors. Must be a Mason County resident and member of 4-H for all four years of high school.
- Senior residing in Oceana or Mason County (including Montague) or any senior attending a school in Oceana or Mason County (including Montague)
- Relative of someone that served in the Marine Corps
- Pursuing full time undergraduate degree (12 hours or more) or technical training at a full-time recognized institution